Friday, March 21, 2008

Friend Friday - back and forth book and quilt




Today's friend friday project is from the famous Deborah Bean. This is the delux version of the back and forth card, a back and forth book and a quilt! Read what Deborah had to say about this project below. Thanks Deb!!!


"This is the beginnings of our 'friendship quilt,' although we
haven't officially named it that. Maggie is my best friend from
college, and ever since marriage and kids we hardly ever see each
other. This project actually started from another one which we've
been doing for a long time, which is just a sort of continuous
letter. I purchased a commercial product designed for that purpose,
basically sending a little book back and forth, each person writing a
letter or note each time and including anything else you want, like
pictures. So one time I received the book and it had a quilt square
in it, and Maggie had written that we ought to make a quilt together,
while apart. We decided to actually make TWO quilts- one for each of
us- so what we do is make two identical squares, and then keep one
and send one to the other person with each exchange of the book. So
it saves postage, as we aren't mailing a whole heavy quilt back and
forth, and when we finish, we will both have something to keep. There
is no grand scheme for the quilt, colors or theme or anything, but
several of the squares so far are made from fabrics that are
significant to us one way or another. One square (that's still in
progress) is made from fabric I used for her twins' baby blankets.
Knowing us, it might take our lifetimes to finish it, but it's fun
having it in the back of my mind, thinking about what I might do for
the next square."

4 comments:

Kathie Sever said...

shannon you forgot to mention that she's famous cause she (almost) won the NATIONAL FINALS for team BATON TWIRLING. i kid you not. she's the bomb.

nahiacreations said...

Lovely idea and a wonderful story!

Liz in Ink said...

Wow. I am blown away. Partly because I can barely sew on a butotn, but also because I love quilts. My grandmother used to be in a little gang of gals who took turns making each other quilts. And one of them they made for me, for my high school graduation. It is threadbare now, but treasured. These quilts are gonna be treasures, too...

carrie said...

This is totally AMAZING! It made me want to cry, the thought of two quilts being made simultaneously. Ahhh, do keep us posted on this project, Deb. Sending love to all you amazing women!